Seven Things You Might Not Know about LED Lighting

Replacing with new LED lightbulb

By now you’ve probably at least heard of LED lighting – but how much do you really know about it?

We’re convinced that once you understand the facts, you’ll realize what we already know here at CMC Energy: that when it comes to lighting your Connecticut home, nothing compares to LED.

Here are seven things you might not know about LED lighting:

  1. An LED, or light-emitting diode, is a type of solid-state lighting that uses a semiconductor to convert electricity into light. The first LED was invented by Nick Holonyak, Jr. while working for GE in 1962.
  2. LEDs are “directional” light sources, which means they emit light in a specific direction – unlike incandescent and CFL (compact fluorescent) bulbs, which emit light and heat in all directions.
  3. LEDs use energy about 67 times more efficiently than incandescent bulbs. An LED light converts more than 90 percent of its energy to light and loses only 10 percent as heat; an incandescent lamp flips the equation, converting only about 10 percent of its energy into light and losing the remaining 90 percent as heat.
  4. Good-quality LED bulbs can have a useful life of 25,000 hours or more – about 25 times longer than traditional light bulbs. To put it another way: if you installed an LED lightbulb in your child’s room when she was in the fourth grade and ran it eight hours a day, every day, you wouldn’t have to change them until she was off to college.
  5. About 95 percent of an LED is recyclable. CFLs create tons of waste – including mercury – when they are no longer working. Incandescent bulbs don’t fare much better.
  6. Want fewer bugs on your porch? Switch your porchlight to an LED bulb, which emits very little of the ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation that bugs love (unlike incandescent lamps and CFLs, which produce high amounts of UV and IR).
  7. Replacement of your incandescent and CFL bulbs with high efficiency LED lighting is one of the same-day measures included in a comprehensive home energy audit from CMC Energy. In all you will get an average of more than $1,100 worth of measures installed for a one-time copay of only $149.*

Why wait another month to save money with a comprehensive home energy assessment from CMC Energy Services? Sign up online today, or call us to learn more: 203-774-4059.

*$149 for electric or gas heated homes; $174 for propane heated homes

“Their technicians did great work—very professional and neat. I’m going to tell all my friends about the program.”

James L.

“Their technicians were fabulous and an asset to the company. I am very happy that I had the program done.”

Sally O.